The 2nd Act Players this spring will perform two one-act plays that focus on issues of women’s empowerment.
Enter today for the chance to see your play performed by the 2nd Act Players this May.
Entries should be from emerging authors and deal with 2nd Acts in characters’ lives, particularly 2nd Acts that see them confronting and rising above harassment, discrimination, marginalization and abuse.. Scroll to the bottom of the page to enter today. Once you’ve filled out the entry form, e-mail your script to:
- Eligibility: open to playwrights living in the Chicago area, preferably in the northern suburbs, but anywhere in the area is fine.
- Plots: Plays should deal with 2nd acts in characters’ lives, key turning points or major life-changing events. Comedies or dramas, or dramadies all welcome.
- Cast size : 6 or less characters
- Length: 30-45 pages, standard script format
- No musicals, children’s plays, adaptations to works not in the public domain, and no plays involving nudity of any kind.
- Prizes: Two scripts will be performed this May
- Entry deadline: March 1, 2019
But wait, there’s more…
- Plays should be new, unperformed works, or works that have been performed for less than 9 performances.
- 2nd Act Players will retain all Chicago-area performance rights for the winning scripts from the announcement of winners through the end of May, 2019.
- Playwrights of the two scripts selected will receive royalties of $25 per performance or 5% of the box office whichever is higher each night.
- Cast size should be 6 characters or less, ideally 3-4.
- Contemporary settings which do not require special costuming are preferred.
- Staging will be relatively minimal in terms of props, etc.
- An individual may enter more than one script .
- The 2nd Act Players reserves the right to turn down any entry for not following these guidelines.
- Scripts to be submitted online only, in normal play script format, Word document or PDF and will not be returned. Include a short overview of the story and a short author bio.
- 2nd Act Players reserves the right to cancel the competition if no suitable scripts are submitted.