The 2nd Act Players in the spring of 2020 will perform several short plays that include senior characters and relate to issues of aging. Enter your short script today. Winners will receive a stipend (a minimum of $25, final amount to be determined by the number of plays selected and attendance at the shows).
Enter today for the chance to see your play performed by the 2nd Act Players in 2020.
Entries should be from emerging authors and deal with 2nd Acts in characters’ lives, particularly 2nd Acts that see them dealing with issues of aging such as isolation, downsizing, healthcare, romance at an advanced age. Comedies and dramas welcome. Scroll to the bottom of the page to enter today. Once you’ve filled out the entry form, e-mail your script to:
- Eligibility: preference will be given to playwrights living or who have lived in the Chicago area, but all are welcome to enter and winners will be selected from across the country.
- Plots: Plays should deal with 2nd acts in characters’ lives, key turning points or major life-changing events. Comedies or dramas, or dramadies all welcome.
- Cast size: 6 or less characters
- Length: 10-25 pages, standard script format
- No musicals, children’s plays, adaptations to works not in the public domain, and no plays involving nudity of any kind.
- Prizes: Several scripts will be performed in the spring of 2020.
- Entry deadline: Feb. 15, 2020
But wait, there’s more…
- Plays should be new, unperformed works, or works that have been performed for less than 9 performances.
- 2nd Act Players will retain all Chicago-area performance rights for the winning scripts from the announcement of winners through the end of May, 2020.
- Playwrights of the scripts selected will receive minimum royalties of $25. Final royalty will be determined by number of scripts selected plus overall attendance at shows.
- Cast size should be 6 characters or less, ideally 3-4. Major characters should be senior citizens.
- Contemporary settings which do not require special costuming are preferred.
- Staging will be relatively minimal in terms of props, etc.
- An individual may enter more than one script.
- The 2nd Act Players reserves the right to turn down any entry for not following these guidelines.
- Scripts to be submitted online only, in normal play script format, Word document or PDF and will not be returned. Include a short overview of the story and a short author bio.
- 2nd Act Players reserves the right to cancel the competition if no suitable scripts are submitted.