The Evanston 2nd Act Players is announcing its short-play script competition for the coming year entitled 2021: It’s not 2020, or is it? Plays that look at people changing in a changing world.
“There’s no question 2020 was a year of immense change for America, whether you looked at health issues, social justice issues or political issues. We’re looking for scripts with characters who are dealing with all those changes to create 2nd acts in their lives,” says 2nd Act Players’ Artistic Director John N. Frank. “We want scripts that deal with the issues of the past year and the coming year, either seriously or comically.”
Scripts should be a maximum of 15 pages with a maximum cast size of three characters. In keeping with the 2nd Act Players’ mission, characters should be adults, with preference given to plays that look at older adults and the particular challenges they face in today’s uncertain world. “Isolation and loneliness have been major issues for older adults during the Covid-19 pandemic, as an example,” says Frank.
“And many adults have dramatically changed their lives during the pandemic, whether it be where they live or how they make their livings. Others have become actively involved in social issues they have become newly conscious of. All of that could be fodder for scripts for our competition,” Frank says.
The 2nd Act Players will select six winning scripts to be performed online in April 2021.
There’s no cost for playwrights to submit scripts for the contest. Winners will receive small prizes.
To submit scripts, simply fill out the entry form below and we will contact you with instructions on how to forward a copy of your script to us. The deadline for entering is Jan. 30, 2021.
- Plots: Plays should deal with 2nd acts in characters’ lives, key turning points or major life-changing events. Comedies or dramas, or dramadies all welcome.
- Cast size: 2-3 characters
- Length: 10-15 pages, standard script format
- No musicals, children’s plays, adaptations to works not in the public domain, and no plays involving nudity of any kind.
- Prizes: Several scripts will be performed in the spring of 2021.
- Entry deadline: Jan. 31, 2021
But wait, there’s more…
- Plays should be new, unperformed works, or works that have been performed for less than 9 performances.
- 2nd Act Players will retain all Chicago-area performance rights for the winning scripts from the announcement of winners through the end of April, 2021.
- Playwrights of the scripts selected will receive prize of $50.
- Contemporary settings that do not require special costuming are preferred.
- An individual may enter up to three scripts
- The 2nd Act Players reserves the right to turn down any entry for not following these guidelines.
- Scripts to be submitted online only, in normal play script format, Word document or PDF and will not be returned. Include a short overview of the story and a short author bio.
- 2nd Act Players reserves the right to cancel the competition if no suitable scripts are submitted.